Pages

Monday, March 13, 2017

St. Patrick's Day Traditions


St. Patrick’s Day isn’t all about soda bread and Guinness (but being honest, it’s a lot about that). I’ve never been to Ireland and I don’t have a whole bunch of knowledge on the country, but I consider my Irish background a big part of my identity. I don’t know if it’s my overall background and personal experiences or maybe just my freckles, but I have a pretty low-key obsession with St. Patrick’s Day because of them.

Here is exactly what St. Patrick’s Day means to me.


Heritage

No, I do not have a 100% Irish heritage. My background comes from all over the place - Italy, Poland, Greece. And I pride myself on that.

But by celebrating this holiday, I feel like I can hold on to my whole family that I can't see everyday. That’s in part because I’ve celebrated it since I was a kid. Oh to the days when we would eat corned beef and cabbage at my grandparent’s house and my sister, Sophia, and I would dress in matching green. Seems embarrassing, but if I lived at home I would make my sisters dress up with me whether they liked it or not. No Shame.

I remember as a kid feeling unique taking this holiday so seriously. Even today I feel the same because it’s more than just going out and drinking. I love being so invested in something that has meaning to me.


Tradition

I have pretty big plans for St. Patrick’s Day now and in the future.

Bill and I are getting ready for our second annual trip to a festival out in Newtown, PA. Last year, we spent and early birthday/spring break night away to New Hope, PA. We spent the “vacation” at a really great wine and whiskey bar and walking around the New Hope shops.

But the turning moment of the trip was when we found out that there was a nearby St. Patrick’s Day festival happening at a place called The Green Parrot not far in Newtown. They had a big tent set up right outside of the bar with a band and it was one of the best nights we ever had together. We sang to the songs we knew and shared some Guinness during the songs we didn’t. Needless to say we are planning on making the trip out there again this year.

As for the future, I know that I will want to make some sort of tradition with my kids. Occasionally, the “leprechaun” would come to my grandparent’s house for the holiday and leave dollar coins so I would love to do that as well.


Spirit

I love the spirit that comes along with St. Patrick’s Day.  I think that it is important to be so invested in something and have that to look forward to. Spirit is really what gives you life, which would be so dull without it.

What holidays do you look forward to the most?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest